||*For more history of our area, check out the old newspaper pages.
| Salida pink granite was quarried from a site northeast of
Salida. The most famous use of the product was in the Mormon Battalion
Monument in Salt Lake City.
||Frantzhurst Fish Hatchery (private) built north of Salida.
Colorado Division of Wildlife took over in 1950s when it became Mount
Shavano Fish Hatchery.
||Colorado Cooperative Lettuce Growers Association formed in
Vista with 13,000 acres in cultivation. Lettuce Day started in 1922.
Lettuce growing died out after WWII.
||Kesner Junior High School was built and named
after Edgar Kesner
(Supt. 1898-1922). St. Josephs School opened and was operated by Catholic
But the present building wasn't completed until 1957.
An automobile road was built over Old Monarch Pass (in Water Dog lakes
||The Salida Mechanical Transfer Station, known
as the barrel
transfer station, was built at milepost 214 on the railroad east of
Salida and the location was named Barrel, Colorado. The device was
used to dump the contents of loaded narrow gauge gondolas into
standard gauge cars and operated for 32 years until 1956.
||One of the worst train wrecks on
the D&RG occurred at Granite,
claiming the lives of 30 passengers and crew.Denver South Park & Pacific
quit running to Romley where it had loaded ore at the Mary Murphy Mine.
||The county election decided in favor
of moving the seat of
Chaffee County from Buena Vista to Salida, which by now was the
largest town in the valley.